Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Datamosh Test [Progress]



For my final project, I would like to create some sort of video piece that deals with memories and how they degrade over time.  I find myself dwelling in my memories of past experiences and lost loved ones constantly, as well as how those memories and experiences molded me into the person I am today.  I intend to compose a song that mirrors these themes of loss and nostalgia, although I'm not sure if an instrumental will aptly communicate those ideas or if it would be necessary to add lyrics as well (the only issue being that I am not nearly as confident a vocalist as I am a musician).  The test utilizes footage of Trashcan Falls, a spot where my first friends in college & I would often go swimming on the weekends.  I also have a collection of archival footage from my childhood in San Francisco, including footage of my grandmother who has since died, and I would like to figure out a way to incorporate memories from across my childhood and adult life.

As memories fade over time, they lose certain details and accuracy in favor of what may be a romanticized view of the past.  For this reason, destructive video editing such as datamoshing is what I will be pursuing, as I would like to reinforce the degradation of these memories through the destruction of the files.  

Tutorial:

No comments:

Post a Comment